Job Opening: Economic Development Executive Director, Representing Appanoose County
Thursday, January 19, 2017
Position: Economic Development Executive Director
- Experience in economic and community development, including administrative responsibility.
- B.A./B.S. degree with specialization in economic and community development or a related field; or any equivalent combination or experience and training.
- Certified Economic Development Professional (CEcD) certification preferred.
- Understanding of business development, community, and economic development.
- Understanding of zoning and infrastructure, and planning programs and processes.
- Communication and project management skills necessary to work effectively with groups and individuals, engineers, architects, contractors, developers, businesses, supervisors, elected officials, AEDC membership and the general public.
- Ability to establish working relationships with other organizations and economic development practitioners.
- Computer proficiency and budget development and administration skills. Proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel, Power Point and other applicable software. Ability to update AEDC website and social media posts.
- Valid driver’s license
- Appanoose Economic Development Corporation (AEDC) Board of Directors
- AEDC Exec Committee, AEDC Board, various economic individuals/groups, AEDC membership and utility partners.
- Increase economic growth of Appanoose County and/or assigned regions, entrepreneur development, business retention and expansion in Appanoose County that leads to an increased workforce and tax base.
Nature of the Work:
Performs a variety of administrative, technical and professional work in preparation and implementation of economic and community development plans, programs, and services. This full-time position is responsible for working closely with the leadership of Appanoose County and local incorporated areas to promote the business and economic development interests within the county. This position will include working with all noted departments and individuals to establish, relocate, or expand their businesses within the county. The position will include planning and coordination of community development projects, assisting business and residential applicants with local and State of Iowa permitting processes, overseeing and administration of the revolving loans program and providing research for county sponsored projects.
Essential Physical Demands and Working Conditions
- Typical office working conditions are encountered.
- Substantial amount of time devoted to written and oral communications.
- Ability to operate basic office equipment/programs, e.g., Microsoft Office, Excel, PowerPoint.
- Ability to climb stairs and move about the community from building to building in all types of weather conditions.
- Corrected hearing and vision within normal range.
- Requires attendance at various business functions after and before hours within and outside of Appanoose County. Some overnight travel required.
- Flexible hours to include some evening and weekend work.
- Workload at times may be extensive and stressful.
- Ability to handle multiple priorities simultaneously.
The Executive Director will:
- Direct economic development initiatives to achieve the goals and objectives outlined by the Appanoose County Economic Development Corporation Board.
- Be responsible for all financial matters and the overall fiscal health of corporation. The Executive Director shall: Develop and implement the annual operating budget of the organization; ensure that the corporation achieves annual and long-term goals for both earned and contributed income; give impetus and support to the fundraising and ongoing financial improvement efforts of the corporation; ensure that the systems are in place to support and sustain the activities of the corporation; and operate faithfully under a budget approved by the board of directors annually, the development of which the employee shall play a significant role.
- Provide administration of the Revolving Loan Fund (RLF) and the Intermediary Relending Program (IRP) including: collection of monthly payments, all accounting and maintenance of necessary loan records, marketing to increase number of business loans, completion of USDA Rural Development reports and online loan updates as required.
- Raise membership funding along with retaining existing and attracting new members.
- Develop economic development leads and assist and draft proposals to business prospects. Oversee annual existing business outreach program to include coordinated visits to the region’s top employers and the execution of approved interview procedures.
- Develop short and long-term economic and community development plans with assistance from AEDC committees and approval of the AEDC Board.
- Gather information and prepare studies, budgets, financials, reports, and recommendations to achieve such goals.
- Prepare and maintain information on utilities, taxes, zoning, transportation, community services, financing tools, and incentives, in order to respond to requests for information for economic development purposes, and coordinate with other departments and agencies as needed.
- Work directly with the Appanoose County Board of Supervisors and their comprehensive plan, city governments, planning and zoning in addition to any other entity that would present themselves to accomplish the goals as established by the AEDC Board of Directors.
- Identify areas of concern in the promotion of business location and expansion within Appanoose County and develop action plans to address those concerns.
- Act as a liaison with various local, state, and federal agencies, coordinating projects with agencies as deemed necessary and appropriate, e.g., IEDA, IDOT, IFA, USDA-RD, etc.
- Lead negotiations and the management of professional service contracts, property sales or acquisition, and economic development oriented negotiations, as assigned with support of the AEDC Executive Committee, Board, and responsible committee.
- Formulate and implement marketing and business attraction strategies, including familiarity with the goals and objectives of the AEDC Board.
- Serve as a member of economic development groups or task forces that promote economic and community development at the local, state or federal level, as deemed necessary or appropriate by the AEDC Board.
- Monitor legislation and regulations relating to economic development, and report findings to the appropriate impacted parties, including AEDC Board of Directors, Appanoose County Board of Supervisors, area businesses, clients, the media, and others.
- Serve as a member of various committees, as assigned by the AEDC Board.
- Attend professional development workshops and conferences, as necessary and approved by AEDC Board, to keep abreast of trends and developments in the field of economic development, and to represent the interest of Appanoose County and the region on matters related to economic development.
- Strive to strengthen the competitiveness of Appanoose County
- Act as a team player with Board Members, AEDC Members, community and county leaders staff and others.
- Conduct other duties as assigned by AEDC Board.
Salary commensurate with experience.
Please send or email resume to:
Appanoose Economic Development Corporation
101 W Van Buren St, Suite 1
Centerville, IA 52544
Office: (641) 856-3388