Get to know Mercy Medical Center
Monday, September 14, 2015
Mercy Medical Center, located at One St. Joseph’s Dr. in Centerville, Iowa, is a full-service medical facility, offering a wide range of services to patients. Its facilities include a hospital, clinic, women’s center, laboratory, and the Cline Family Dialysis Center.
Mercy’s suite of services include an emergency room, surgery, anesthesia, obstetrics, radiology, cancer care, cardiac rehab, sleep studies, diabetes education, and rehab services. In addition, the center runs a 20-bed long-term care unit at the hospital, offers a Senior Life Solutions program for those over the age of 65 to assist them in coping with the effects of aging, and also provides SHIIP, the Senior Health Insurance Information Program to counsel seniors on medicare and other health insurance options.
Mercy Medical Center got its start in 1902, when a group of local doctors and community women raised money to purchase the Peatman House in Centerville as a hospital, which opened in 1903. Management of the Centerville Hospital was taken over by the Sisters of Mercy from Omaha, Nebraska, in 1910. The Sisters changed the name of the hospital to St. Joseph’s Mercy Hospital and built a new, 4-story hospital in Centerville in 1916. This hospital was expanded in 1956. In 1979, the current Mercy Medical Center was built north of Centerville. Starting from the time the Sisters of Mercy took over, Mercy Medical Center has been in operation for 105 years, and is considered “one of Iowa’s finest and busiest rural hospitals.” (http://www.mercycenterville.org/about-us/history.aspx)
Mercy Medical Center is a member of the Appanoose Economic Development Corporation at the level of Economic Leader.
To learn more about the organization, visit http://www.mercycenterville.org